Are You Sun Smart?
I was totally that girl who loved to be tan! I watched my mom and her girlfriends rub baby oil on themselves and flip over every 30 minutes at the pool. I’ve bought packages at the tanning salon, even worse, I’ve refused sunscreen countless times because I didn’t want to be pale. Oh, If I could go back and tell my teenage self I was being dumb, I would.
Skin cancer has truly reached epidemic proportions, and many people still do not take sun protection seriously. In fact, one in five Americans will develop skin cancer before the age of 70, and more people are diagnosed with skin cancer in the United States than all other cancers combined.
Now, the sun worshiping girl I used to be would say “yeah, I know I should wear sunblock, but skin cancer won’t happen to me.” Oh, to be young and naive again! Lets be real, we all know we should “probably” wear sunblock, but the truth is sunblock only reduces skin cancer risk by about 40 to 50%! That means there is so much more we could be doing to cut our risk of skin cancer.
My Best Skin Protection Tips:
1. Wear sunglasses whenever you are outside
2. Invest in a wide brimmed hat (they're cute!)
3. Wear clothing that covers most of your body
4. Stay in the shade as much as possible
5. Put sunblock on your hands
6. Limit time spent in the sun between the hours of 10am-2pm when the sun is strongest
7. When swimming, apply SPF to entire body, wait 15 minutes after application to jump in
8. Make it a habit. I apply SPF in the morning as part of my daily routine, including the kids
9. Wear SPF when its cloudy. Damaging UVA (rays that cause aging) and UVB (rays that cause burning) will penetrate the cloud cover
10. Reapply every 2 hours if you are swimming, sweating or working outdoors
I know we all want that sun kissed glow, but at what cost? Instead of baking in the sun consider using a sunless tanner or try a spray tan, they are my absolute favorite!
Live. Laugh. Wear Sunscreen!